Local Model Shops.

Any model (or full size) railway subject that does not fall neatly into it's own section.

Moderator: MaggieB

ChiefPenguin
Site Admin

Local Model Shops.

Post by ChiefPenguin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:55 am

Local model shops are fast becoming a rarity.

Certainly on-line shopping and the "must have it tomorrow" culture thesedays plays its part. Rents & business rates almost certainly did not help either.

The nearest local model shop to me (in Ramsgate) has closed in the last couple of weeks, leaving local modellers with Hobbycraft and the Hornby Visitors Centre. Or, you can of course collect by arrangement with our sponsors Euroscalemodels (shameless plug).

However (& this is based on personal experience & comments by other people) the shop itself must have played a part in it's own demise.
It had a very uninspiring window display that hardly ever changed from one year to the next - an oval of LGB track with a static train (which I never saw move), a made up warship kit & a few other kits in boxes.
Drab & dreary inside (poor lighting).
Very low stock levels (you cannot sell what is not in stock).
& lastly poor customer attitude - rarely an acknowledgement when you went in, you could ask for something & if in stock you would be gruffly pointed in the direction (not shown), till receipts you could hardly read. On more than one occasion I have gone in, found what I wanted, gone to the counter, paid, items in a bag & the guys conversation on the phone or with someone (clearly not a customer) unbroken.

It really is a shame - this shop was in a pretty good trading position, close to the town centre, easy free parking & on a bus route. It may of course also been down to end of lease, a hefty rent rise or possibly re-development plans.
Brian Considine

ChiefPenguin
Site Admin

Re: Local Model Shops.

Post by ChiefPenguin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:37 am

just to add that Euroscalemodels now has a Westore up & running ;

www.euroscalemodels.co.uk
Brian Considine